Pages

Monday, January 19, 2015

Kyro - Day 3/4

Hey, there. So, I'm a ways into Kyro, the second ShakeCan Game I've been working on. If you don't already know, my ShakeCan Games label applies to games I'm making with a goal of finishing in a very short period of time - generally just 1 week.



So far, I have a couple of the basics of the game down - you move around and can trigger switches. Each switch can trigger any number of other "switchable" objects. Your goal in each level is to get to the stair-set, as that will allow you to move on to the next room.

(I think) I've yet to show or explain the "gimmick" behind this game to not make it a pure "Adventures of Lolo"-like production, but it's turning out well nonetheless. Now, "gimmick" can kind of sound like a bad term, but I think it can just describe a trick or additional ability to traverse a puzzle that isn't present in other titles. I think many good puzzle games employ gimmicks, especially ones on PC after the popularity of Portal 1 and 2. Those were two good games that really developed and expanded upon the portal-hopping gimmick to be interesting and engaging. It wasn't too difficult to grasp or work with, and even relatively simple puzzles required a good amount of thought to work through. So in other words, I hope the gimmick in Kyro will be simple, interesting, and fun to work with for players in the end. Anyway, I hope I can keep up the pressure! Thanks for reading / watching!

No comments:

Post a Comment