Pages

Friday, April 3, 2015

The Next Game

Yo! It's been awhile since my last post; sorry about that! I've decided to pause development on that murder mystery game I started, as my writing skills just aren't up to snuff. Hopefully I'll be ready to re-tackle that next time.

For now, I wanted to try something with more solid, pure gameplay. This game will have a focus on exploration and combat, and hopefully be a smooth, slick Metroid-like game.

Anyway, today I worked on the starting area, which is a blank "space between dimensions". Basically, the game takes place in a big jumbled up maze that can pull things and environments from all through Earth's time and space (which means a lot of rooms, but that can be outside, inside, on fire, snowing, etc.) I suppose it'll mainly just be for variety over actual game mechanics; there's a lot I could do with the idea, but I probably won't get around to really having top-notch level design, haha.

I got movement and jumping working OK. Stair-climbing also works pretty well. The idea of this game is to be a Metroid-like with smooth movement, where the game doesn't really get in your way as you traverse and explore the environment. Not sure if I'll be able to pull it off, but it's worth a shot, I think.



I have to work on the GUI some more, but it's OK for now. I'll have to keep iterating it over and over to get something that I'm satisfied with, but I think I have a good core idea for how it should look and work.

Anyway, I'll have to get to work!

2 comments:

  1. Are you doing it in BDX? If yes, then I'd really like to know how you intend to do the fire... And the snow..!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Sorry for not replying - I guess I must have missed it! I decided to try something simpler, as this was going to be a big, sprawling Metroid-like game. Seems like I never learn, haha! Anyway, for particles, I created a particle system for BDX that works something like my X-Emitter did, though it doesn't have as many options yet. For an entire room or area that's supposed to be on fire, I might have gone with sprite animations of flames and just placed planes of fire around.

      Anyway, thanks for reading!

      Delete